Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Chase's birth story

I have been so busy with invitations lately, that I haven't had much time to blog. I have been asked a few times about my sons birth and his stay in the NICU. Here is his story(be ready for a novel):

Chase's birth story

I was 34 weeks pregnant and up till now I have had a great and normal pregnancy. I went to work (I was a nanny for two kids at the time) and around snack time, I sat down to eat with the kids and peed my pants had "wet" stuff running down my leg and stop to think if I just peed my pants, and if not...what in the heck just happened. I immediately got on their computer to Google what happens when your water breaks. (you always hear stories, but it being my first pregnancy...I had no clue) I found out that is it like peeing your pants, but you can't control it and it just keeps pouring/dripping out of you.

I called my midwife and she said I need to go to the hospital. I next called my husband to let him know that I think my water broke. He misunderstood me and said, "I am really busy at work, I have to go." I hung up and burst into tears my hormones kicked in. What was I supposed to do, drive myself there?? I called the lady I nannied for and let her know that my water broke and I need her to come home, so I can go to the hospital. I packed up my stuff and got the kids washed up from snack. I decided to try my husband back and hope for a different response. When he answered, I said, "don't hang up, my water broke and I need to go to the hospital." He said, "Why didn't you say that the first time you called?" I said, "I DID!" He said, "oh, I thought you said your boobs hurt." Wow...I know guys don't always listen, but that isn't even close to what I said. :)

The lady I nannied for got home and I drove myself to my husbands work....leaking "water" and all. I got there and he was standing outside the doors with a huge roll of paper towels. LOL!
He got in the drivers seat and said, "why is the seat all wet?" I looked at him with the are you an idiot face. We started to drive to the hospital and called his parents and mine. His parents happen to be about 2 hours away, so we let them know that we are pretty sure my water broke and we were going to the hospital.

We got to the hospital, checked in and got into my room. They wanted to double check that it was my water that broke, so they did some testing of the fluid and told us that it was my water and that they were going to let labor run its course. Well, little did we know that Chase had another plan. They got out the ultra sound machine, just to check on him and found out that he was breach. UGH...already being difficult and he's not even born. They told us they could possibly turn him, but it would be painful. I said they could try and they did, but it hurt so bad, there were tears rolling down my face. (I am pretty good at taking pain...but this pain was unbearable) They told us that we were having a c-section and we would have a baby in 2 hours. I started the water works again and said, "does this mean I will never be able to wear a bikini again?" My midwife giggled and said, that is will be a tiny scar below my bikini line and my tiny little but (at the time) would still look great in a bikini.

I didn't have anything with me and my bag wasn't packed at home. (Who would have thought I should have my bags packed by 34 weeks??) I called my best friend, told her what was going on and to go to my house and get some stuff for me. She was awesome and packed me a bag with everything I needed.

I went into surgery and had Chase at 9:14pm...3 hours and 45 minutes before my mom's birthday. (she wanted me to wait till her After they took him out, they brought him to the NICU. I didn't even get to see him.
After I got back to my hospital room, I was in a lot of pain. I am allergic to morphine, which is what they usually use after the medicine they were giving me, wasn't working as well. I was told they were going to get me a wheel chair, so I could go see Chase, but come 10:30 am and about 20 attempts to ask to go see him, I got myself out of bed and walked to the NICU to see him. Since he was a preemie...they had to monitor him and make sure he was ok. He was 5 lbs. 11 oz...which is pretty good for a 34 week baby. He was the biggest in the NICU.
He was in the NICU for 2 weeks, he didn't want to eat, so they had to put a feeding tube in him. There are days I would get dropped off by my mother-in-law and I would spend all day there with him. The hospital was full, so I couldn't stay there more than the 4 days after having him. They don't let you drive for 3 weeks, because of the anesthesia still in your body.

Chase finally started breastfeeding and we had him on a schedule, since he wouldn't take a bottle. We went home for our last good night sleep and came to pick him up the next morning. We wait through the final test and checked him out of the hospital and off we went to enjoy our little man, in the comfort of our own home.

Ok, now that your eyes are pretty sore from reading all of this. Don't forget to enter in my Pretty Pretty Princess bow giveaway. to win these:

It ends tomorrow morning! Good luck!


Kristin said...

Hey Kelly,

I love your bow holders, and Layla could really use one, her little drawer is pretty cluttered up; such a cute idea to keep them organized. Would you be willing to make one for her? How much? Have a good rest of the day, and I enjoyed reading Chase's story. It's amazing how differnt everyones' birth experiences are.

Lindsay said...

I loved reading your story, I am sorry you had to go through all of that. I am personally very displeased that they didn't take you to see your baby. I am a Mother/Baby nurse(not working right now of course) and I will jumps through hoops to make sure my mamas get to see their babies. The bows are cute, I will for sure enter your contest.

Andi said...

Hello I am so sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I dont have the notification on that site yet and I need to get it. The Bow holders are $15. Thanks so much for visiting my site and please stop by anytime!

dawn said...

i love to read other people's birth stories!!! thanks for sharing. i am so glad chase is such a happy healthy guy!!!! oh and you look so super cute in the prego pic below. do u think u all will have anymore babies????

Keri said...

Oh wow, this sounds so similar to what we went through when Vivi was born. Well, not the C-section part and not the driving myself around in the car after my water broke part (oh my gosh!), but the rest of it brings back memories. I was also 34 weeks when my water broke out of nowhere. She had to be tube fed too. I was dropped off every day to be with her just like you....Oh it sucked. But thank goodness all's well that ends well and we both have beautiful children home with us now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...